Friday, December 10, 2010

I love U2

I love you, too.

But I also love U2.

Shon and I have had a long tradition of sitting in the cheep seats.  When we were dating, we went to a Jazz game and sat on folding chairs behind the back row.  The night we became engaged, we went to Les Miserables, and sat on the back row.  It was the same for Wicked.  When we lived in New Orleans, I would go to the Orpheum and watch the New Orleans Symphony rehearsal - $4 tickets and you get to know the conductor too.  Next week we will be going to see the Nutcracker, and sitting near the back.  When we heard U2 was adding a Brisbane show to their 360 tour, we splurged and got the better seats.




Here's a little video I took with my iphone.  The sound quality is awful because of the volume - as much from the crowd as from the band!



We had no idea how good those "seats" would be!  I say "seats" because we were in the standing area.  Robert and his son Ethan took Bryce and went early while I picked up Shon from work (and calmly looked for missing tickets!)  The early bird gets . . . the awesome spot in the exclusive "red zone," inside the circular walkway, 20 feet from the stage!  We were close enough to make eye contact with Bono.  We could have jumped up and touched him when he crossed over the moving bridge (thought I'm sure Mr. Big Security Guard would have stopped us.)

 ,
I'm amazed that after 30 + years as a band, U2 are still running strong.  They are all amazing entertainers, and Bono has been married to the same woman for 30 years - which makes him classy, in addition to a great musician.  (Jon Bon Jovi is classy for the same reason.)   I'm happy that Bryce got to go to his first concert with his parents, and a friend.

3 comments:

Liz said...

Awesome! We love U2 also!

Ben took Lindsey to see U2 last year when they played in Boston. She's loved U2 since she could walk/dance. Like Father, like Daughter.

Anthony and Kristie said...

Lucky, I love U2.

beck said...

That's awesome! Jeremy and Kendra and I went to a concert about 10 years ago and we sat in some distant seats. But not so distant that we couldn't see that Bono was wearing leather pants and running around like a 20-year-old. He's quite the humanitarian too. I think he's great. (Until he beats his wife or something....)